View Single Post
Old 08-08-2007, 06:54 AM   #15
catser2002
Donating Yorkie Yakker

I don't think boys are any harder to train, at least mine weren't. But every puppy is different so there is no one way to train. You will get lots of excellent advise from everyone here and try to find what works best for your pup.

Mine are both inside and outside trained. I did use an x-pen at first not a crate, did the outrageous praise and special treat reward. My boys are twins so the difference in what works well for one puppy, not so well for another was very apparent to me.

I agree that training should be positive, so the never use the dog's name to correct, never punish for mistakes is an absolute. But I read somewhere that it was ok to "correct" the accident. Sounds stupid I know but saying "bad potty" to a puddle on the floor seemed to be what made the whole thing click for mine.

Also try to remember that it isn't linear. Puppies will have good and not so good days. Patience and persistence is what matters.

When all is said though, I remember what their trainer said in one of their early classes. One lady was really having issues with her pug puppy. The trainer gave her many suggestions then reminded her to keep perspective. The puppy is a living, breathing creature who depends on you for everything and will give you unquestioning devotion - carpet is a floor covering --- which is more important?
catser2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!