View Single Post
Old 08-06-2007, 05:35 PM   #20
wemple2
Wee Winston Wiggles
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drawlins27 View Post
Are you sure the low blood sugar caused the seizure and not vice versa? Low blood sugar does not cause seizures until it is severe. It is normal for a dog to have low blood sugar after a seizure. This is often cyclical in that a seizure lowers the blood sugar, which in turn, can cause more seizures. An adult Yorkie should not have a problem with low blood sugar for no reason.
I believe that was the exact question I asked when I joined YT and made my very first post...Hypoglycemia or Epilepsy/seizure? Which came first the chicken or the egg??? But for now, I must assume it's hypoglycemia and treat it as such. As he hasn't had an episode since starting on frequent puppy food feedings, I haven't had to do the home glucose test. I explained in detail what happens during these periods, and both vets agreed it was unlikely to be epilepsy. They thought of starting him on Phenobarb, if his episodes prove to not be glucose related. That is why I was instructed to check his sugar at the very first sign...not during or after. The new vet also said, if all this failed she would ask for a neurological consultation.
I am not saying it is normal for an adult, eating Yorkie to have low blood sugar...but it does happen. The first vet witnessed what he does, I was able to get him there while it was happening...she originally thought it was heat stroke...until I told her it was not hot in my house, we have air conditioning. They kept him in the hospital and pumped him full of IV glucose as his sugar levels were dangerously low, they then kept him to monitor him...to be sure he wouldn't have rebound low blood sugar's...when he was able to eat again on his own, and his glucose stayed normal...he was released.
Either way...I must treat the hypoglycemia, or he could actually die from it.
And NutriCal has always brought him out of seizures since then. So...Hypoglycemia or Epilepsy, which is it???
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!