View Single Post
Old 08-06-2007, 04:39 PM   #18
wemple2
Wee Winston Wiggles
Donating Member

Winston has been having hypoglycemic seizures for well over a year, since he was 2 years old. Had the bile acid test, complete blood profile, thyroid test and blood count. Nothing wrong with any of those tests...he is not tiny, and he has always eaten very well. His vet wanted to run an Insulin/Glucose Ratio blood test...to check for an Insulinoma, a tumor of the pancreatic islet cells.She said he must be actually having a low blood sugar while doing this test...but yet she scheduled it...he went nearly 24 hours without eating but his sugar failed to go below 60...so no test was done.
Meanwhile, I took him to a new vet...for a second opinion. She told me to start feeding him puppy food again...4 times daily. I was instructed to poke his ear to get a drop of blood to do a home glucose test, at the first sign of hypoglycemia...It has now been almost 6 weeks since, and no low blood sugars...If he proved to ALWAYS have low blood sugars during these episodes, she would then proceed with a liver biopsy for glycogen storage. If this was the culprit...then she would suggest a low dose of cortisone, which naturally increases glucose readings...in order to prevent them from occurring. If this fails...then there is a medication, I can't remember the name, that is given to make him diabetic, and I would then have to give insulin injections. But for now he is doing well...holding his weight around 7.8 to 8.0 pounds. He has honestly never skipped his meals...which is why I could never understand why his glucose would drop so dramatically. His original vet has documented low blood sugars, ranging from 20's to 40's which causes him to have seizures. So in closing, yes, full grown Yorkies can have low blood sugar, even if they eat well.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!