View Single Post
Old 08-06-2007, 08:08 AM   #1
sassypup
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Default possible neglected yorkie question....need advice

We belong to a local yorkie meetup group and a new member needed a sitter for their 8 year old yorkie....so we wanted to volunteer just because we know how it is to need a sitter during vacations. We've had her since friday and boy is she a mess. Her issues:

1. antisocial, completely and utterly antisocial with space boundary issues
2. she lunges at Zoe when she comes near and tries to play with her...we were told she doesn't play because of 'old' age
3. doesn't know a single command, not even the basic sit????? I don't get it, Zoe knows all her basic commands and even knows a few fun tricks
4. doesn't play at all, just sits in one spot, doesn't walk or run around the house
5. is completely overweight...she is Zoe's size, but weights 9lbs and Zoe weighs slightly over 5lbs....she is on diet food and we were told it's because their child gives too much treats which I don't believe that treats alone will make a dog overweight...must be another factor.
6. her nails are completely overgrown to the point where it is starting to curl over...I'm a bit bothered and concerned by this
7. her private areas are not at all groom which disgusts me because these areas are keep really short on Zoe for hygenic reasons
8. hubby was petting her on the back the other day and she went crazy yapping and ran off? She yelped and struggled as if she was being physically hurt. Was she abused or perhaps not touched much? You can touch Zoe anywhere on her body and she will curl or roll over and close her eyes as if she's enjoying it
9. doesn't know how to walk on a leash...will drag and pull and walk extremly slow
10. teeth is in extremly poor condition, perhaps due to age? We were never given a toothbrush or any direction about brushing her teeth...which we woudln't have mind brushing every day
11. will lunge at Zoe when she comes near or turn her head away and face the other direction when Zoe comes to play with her
12. we took her and Zoe to a nearby park and when we got to the grassy area, we unleashed both and we were running around and playing fetch and Zoe was running around like a mad woman while the other dog just sat there, not knowing what to do with herself, not knowing how to run around or play
13. won't play with toys at all. Her parents didn't bother to bring toys...and Zoe is sweet enough to push her balls and squeaky toys to this dog and either is ignored or lunged at or nipped at
14. snorts as if she is having breathing problems...we guess it's due to her overweight issues

Is this possibly a case of neglect or just someone that treats their dog like a 'dog'...I'm a bit concerned for her and realize that Zoe gets treated like a complete princess in comparison...in terms of training properly, good health and diet, good behavior, socialized, and lots of touching and loving from us. We have extreme pity for this dog because she doesn't know how to behave like a dog, she doesn't seem to know what it feels like to run around and play fetch and enjoy treats and chasing and wresting other dogs and playing with toys.

We have her for another week and it's quite unbearable to see her in this state. Any suggestions or advice about her behavior and physical well being? Should we address our concerns to the owner when they return or mind our own business?

Last edited by sassypup; 08-06-2007 at 08:12 AM.
sassypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!