View Single Post
Old 08-05-2007, 03:28 PM   #1
rocky raccoon
Yorkie Yakker

Default Seargent Flea Control watch your weight!!

I had a horrible few days because I was not careful about the weight recommendations on flea control medicine and my dog's weight.

Read ON.

So Rocky is an inside dog, but we go out to the dog park and have a blast. I noticed that he wasscratching the other day, and did a carefull search and found a flea. Well, everyone knows, there is no such thing as one flea.

So I went to the vet and got the Seargents Gold flea control, drops that you put on the shoulder blades.

The package was for ex small dogs. even had a picture of a Yorkie on the front.

(fine print said for doge 9lb to 20lb. Mine is 5lb almost half the lower weight listed.)

I bathed my dog, waited a day, and happily dropped this stuff on his back, promising him that within one hour all of the bugs would be gone.

by midnight my dog was in distress. He shook al over and jerked about circling floping not quite like a seizure but strangely and drooled non stop to the point where he was soaking wet. His throat clearing woke me up. I immediately got on the phone to the emergency hot line number at Seargents, and thankfully, they were very helpfull and concerend.

these symptoms were common with overdose, and the tech confirmed that the 9lb dose even though was the smallest they make was way too much for a 5lb dog.

The good news, the symptoms should pass in a few hours if I did the following. Bath him in Dawn dishwashing liquid to breakdown the oils, rinse him and rinse him for a good while, then, put vit E oil on his tounge and try to keep him warm and calm.

I followed and withing 4 hours he was back to normal, but very tired.

I don't have a new plan for flea control, but I'll not be using the oilbased systemic type agin.

Anyone have a better slution?
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!