View Single Post
Old 08-03-2007, 01:10 PM   #7
DesertChildAZ
YT Addict

My sister referred me to Dr. Roberts. The reason I started seeing Dr. Roberts was because my 13 year old cat, Nilla, had started walking on a tilt. I consulted my vet (through the practice at the Warner/Alma School Emergency Hospital) at the time and told him I didn't have much money and would like to work out a payment plan. (I had just spend about $1000 on care there for my 14 year old yorkie, Tahoe.) That vet's response was "We are a business and I have to make money." Literally. I said "I don't want you to care for her for free...I suggested working out a payment plan. This man, who had treated my pets for a couple years and who I had paid a buttload of money to responded with "If you can't afford to treat Nilla, perhaps you should consider euthanizing her." That made me sick to my stomach. This is where my sister comes in....

My sister (only 21 at the time) adopted a dog. She lived in an apartment complex. At 7 months, he contracted Parvo (presumably from the feces of all the dogs going to the bathroom in the same place in the complex). She had NO money saved and loved this puppy. She literally had $350 to her name. Now, everyone knows that treating parvo can cost thousands of dollars. She walked into Dr. Roberts office in tears. He told her that he couldn't entirely treat her dog for $350 but that he would show her how to treat his dehydration herself by administering her own fluids. (Most dogs don't die from Parvo, they die from dehydration.) She treated the dehydration, he treated the Parvo...for $350.

Here's where I come in. After seeing how caring this doctor was, I went to him with Nilla. Knowing a potentially deadly neurological treatment would be costly, I would stop at nothing for my babies. Dr. Roberts office was willing to put me on a payment plan for the $1300 it cost to treat Nilla. Nilla's decline was sudden and quick and she died within 2 weeks...we were still testing, still treating...she wasn't responding and we were unable to save her...not because he was incapable, but because time was not on our side. A week to the day after Nilla's death, I discovered a tumor in my other cat's ear. I took her to Dr. Roberts office and he said "Kelly, we couldn't save Nilla, but I will save Oreo." Removal of the tumor requires surgery, which I could not afford (I was only a week into payments for Nilla's care for $1300). Dr. Roberts agreed to do an alternative non-invasive treatment that was less costly. He removed the tumor without surgery, for far less money, and it is gone. Her ear infections disappeared (they were recurring for 4 years) and her personality, which was aggressive, completely turned around. She is the sweetest princess now. (This event occurred in 2005.) I think he is a saint. He works hard and his staff is terrific. If Emily is working, as for her. She's wonderful and was heartbroken when Nilla died. (She carried Nilla all over the office on her shoulder when Nilla was in their care.) They are very personal. I HIGHLY recommend them.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!