View Single Post
Old 08-02-2007, 06:33 PM   #5
simplyyorkies
Gabor Galore
Donating Member

I've been grooming for over 15 years and when I worked for a large grooming shop they didnt allow owners to stay citing that it causes the dog to get excited and it is harder to groom them. Some owners like to talk to their dogs and the dog will get excited and may try to leap off the table or wont hold still and can get cut. All valid points however....
When I finally was able to open my own shop I decided that I wanted to try a different approach. I set my shop up so they owner could sit on one side of the counter and I faced my grooming table so the dog didnt look at the owner. Also I groom one on one so no other dog was in the shop while I groomed. Each dog got personal attention and I groomed them from start to finish with no caging. Typically they were in and out within an hour.
In all the years I groomed I can honestly say I was NEVER bitten nor do I muzzle. I groomed all breeds for 10 years and only smaller breeds the last 5. However, I always told the owner if their dog needed some training on grooming procedures and would definately tell if a dog would have bit me!
One reason groomers dont tell owners is b/c all bites have to be reported to animal control. If they do your dog goes into quarintine (could be your home but depending on severity of bite animal control could take them). Another reason is some groomers dont want to admit they were bit and cant handle your dog.
I always tell owners - ask questions, know your groomer and if u ever feel like something is wrong talk to your groomer and if you dont feel u got an honest answer go elsewhere.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!