Thread: First Timer!
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2007, 07:21 AM   #7
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonBarbati View Post
Great thanks for the advice! I don't want to be a big time breeder like a kennel or anything, I just want to have the puppies around every once in a while. Do you think it's not worth it to breed considering there are so many yorkie breeders as it is?? I don't want to make a profit. I would probably only ask for however much the vet bills are. I also don't want to show my yorkies but I do want to bring quality to the breed. I can definitely understand that! I know that Scouts pedigree is very good I just want to make sure that everything is done correctly. Thanks again!

I strongly suggest that you emerse yourself in the breed. Take some genetic classes, breeding and whelping classes. Deciding that you would like to have puppies around once in awhile....is not reason enough to breed. The financial, emotional and time responsibilities of bringing puppies into the world are tremendous. Let alone the studying and planning for each litter.

1. Preliminary vet costs prior to breeding.
2. Whelping Supplies
3. Nutrition for your female.
4. Possible Emergency Vet Fees
5. Personal time as once whelping time is near....you can not leave her alone. So, from that time and the next 6 to 8 weeks your are an on duty care giver.
6. Vet care for the puppies (docking tails, removing dew claws and vaccinations) and after vet check for mom.
7. Socializing and training puppies.
8. Finding approved homes.
9. Keeping in contact with the new families....they will be using you for their source of knowledge, be prepared for 7x24 calls.

The above listed responsibilities are just touching the tip of the list...it goes on and on.

Yes, there are alot of yorkie breeders are out there and the market is flooded with puppies that are being brought into the world that are poor representations of the breed.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!