View Single Post
Old 07-29-2007, 09:44 PM   #23
MyFairLacy
Donating YT 10K Club Member

My opinion is that no reputable breeder intentionally breeds mixed breed dogs. There is just no purpose to it. When breeding purebred dogs, you are breeding to a written standard. When breeding mixes, there is no standard to breed to - you are just sticking a male and female together and letting them create puppies and who knows what the puppies will turn out to be like. These "designer dog" breeders are not trying to create a new breed - they are just breeding two dogs together - creating a new breed takes years and years of work, knowledge of genetics, and a lot of planning when breeding - you have to know what qualities you are looking for and breed toward that (basically breeding to a standard).

That being said, I have seen two full grown yorkie/shih tzu mixes recently. The first was probably about 9lbs. she was a reddish-golden color with a silky coat - very fine hair texture. She had floppy ears but they were pointy like a yorkies and not round like most floppy ears are so they looked a little funny. She had a longer muzzle more like a yorkie but you could see the shih tzu look to her face. The second one was a smaller dog - probaby 5-6lbs. She had a short muzzle (not as short as a shih tzu - the "baby doll" face like some yorkies have). She didn't really have a "shih tzu" look to her face. Her hair was more cottony in texture and she was also a reddish-gold color. I can't remember right now what her ears were like but this one was a cuter dog than the first one. With a mixed breed - you just can't be sure how they will turn out to look.
MyFairLacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!