View Single Post
Old 07-25-2007, 09:07 PM   #8
Patti
Donating YT 30K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bit View Post
Hope this helps!

Silica Gel Packets Silica gel is used as a dessicant and often come in paper packets or plastic cylinders. They are used to absorb moisture with leather, medication, and in some food packaging. Silica is considered "chemically and biologically inert" upon ingestion. However, with ingestion, it is possible to see signs of GI upset, such as nausea, vomiting, and inappetence. Additional problems could occur if the silica gel was used as a dessicant in medication, since silica could possibly absorb qualities of the medication.

another one -

Silica Gel
Did You Know…The statement “DESSICANT- DO NOT EAT” commonly found on the little packets of silica gel contained in medications, leather goods, certain pasta products and vitamins is not really as ominous as it sounds?

Silica gel is used to absorb moisture in many different products, and is usually packaged in plastic cylinders or paper packets. Silica gel is also used in certain cat litters for the same purpose. While it is indeed true that it is not meant for consumption, with most ingestions silica gel produces only mild stomach upset which typically resolves with minimal to no treatment. If very large quantities are eaten, however, such as with ingestions of multiple packets or mouthfuls of kitty litter, intestinal obstruction is a possibility- especially in very small animals.

In addition to offering information online at http://www.aspca.org/site/pageserver?pag... the APCC also runs an emergency hotline - 1-888-4-ANI-HELP - that provides round-the-clock telephone assistance.
Thanks so much!! I decided to take her in to the er vet since she kept throwing up. They think she did get into a silica pack and it upset her GI tract,. They took Xrays and they showed her intestines were thick and irritated so they gave her an injection, meds for home and fluid under the skin. I probably could have waited it out but since she is so little I didn't want to take a chance. Thanks for the replies.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!