View Single Post
Old 07-24-2007, 07:29 PM   #3
Suzy
2 Pups=Double Trouble!
Donating Member

I have TWO poop eaters. First, please know it's not harmful to them. I know it's gross, and it completely freaks me out too, but I talked to our vet about it, and she said there's nothing to worry about when they eat their own poo. Usually they do this because either a) there is undigested food in their poo, so it still smells like food and they want to eat it, b) they are missing some important vitamin or mineral in their diet, or c) you've scolded/punished them too much for pooping in the house, and they eat it to cover it up.

Now, there are a few things you can do to help with this-some I've tried, some I haven't. Most of the remedies for this only last a certain amount of time-usually they will start up again at some point, and you'll need to treat it again. You'll need to do some thinking about which way you want to handle it, and then call your vet to make sure you're making the best decision for your dog.

1. For-bid: is a chemical powder available from your vet that you can sprinkle on your dog's food, and it makes the poop taste bad. I have tried this, and it only worked for us for a few weeks.
2. Sprinkle meat tenderizer or MSG on your dog's food. Both supposedly taste good going in and bad going out. Haven't tried this, but many on here have.
3. Put meat tenderizer/MSG on poop after they go, and when they eat it it will taste bad.
4. Scold for eating poop-surprisingly, this is the ONLY thing that's worked for us-strange, it doesn't work for anything else!
5. Talk to your vet about the food you're feeding your dog. Maybe you need to change or add something to the food such as vitamins, minerals, or supplements.

Always try and pick up poop right when they do it, so they're not tempted to eat it. Also, praise, praise, praise! for going potty in the right spot, then treat!

Good luck-I know it's not easy
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!