View Single Post
Old 07-24-2007, 12:35 PM   #2
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheri View Post
My story is much too long to go into now but I have one question for now. I have a little baby, Maggie, who is now 9 weeks old. I bought her from a girl at work who got her from breeder at 5 1/2 weeks old. Little Maggie is having many intestinal problems and the vet told me today that he thinks she has a genetic issue which may require surgery. I am so angry with the breeder who I believe is running a puppy mill. She argues with me that 5 1/2 weeks is not young to take from her mother. This is my first Yorkie and everything I have read indicates that she is wrong.

Plenty of dicussion on this subject. Yes! It is wrong, puppy didn't have her puppy teeth in yet. Barely old enough to be weaned off mother's milk. Don't know what the laws are in your state are but, some aren't allowed to sell puppies younger than 6 some 8 weeks of age. For a Toy breed the optimum time is 12 weeks or older. Even if they are weaned at 8 weeks of age, mothers do so much training from 8 to 12 weeks......Breeders, if doing their job should be doing their job too, with socializing the puppies and making sure that they are eating well, having a minimum of 2 puppy shots, vet checks, before allowing them to go to their forever homes.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!