View Single Post
Old 07-24-2007, 09:57 AM   #1
LuvtheCooper
& LuvtheCarley too!
Donating Member

Love Carley's Sugery went well

I had posted earlier about Carley's leg coming out of socket again. For those who don't know the whole story....In April, Carley was hit by a car. She was soooo lucky, she had her right back leg out of socket and her pelvis fractured in multiple places. As bad as that was, she was going to be okay eventually, we felt blessed.
Three months later, she is doing well, back to her normal self really, and she and Cooper were playing and we hear the awful shrieking yelping sound (the worst sound in the world). Well, it is Sat. night so off to the emergency room we go. They xray, put the leg back in socket and we go to regular vet on Monday. They tell us it most likely won't hold and she will need surgery. We make an appointment with the orthopedic surgeon...but the leg even though bound up again comes out of socket before our appointment. The surgeon saw her on Sat and did her surgery that day. She had a Femoral Hear Ostectomy (I think that last part is right) They took the ball part off the leg/hip joint. They can't put pins in dogs this small, so this is the procedure that is used. He feels like she will have 80% use of that back leg. He said we won't be able to tell, but she will.
This whole thing from then to now has just been nerve-wracking. We thought we were past the worst and then worse happened. It was sooo hard to leave her at the hospital overnight and what a pitiful sight she was when we picked her up. Today, 3 days post surgery, her little personality has finally come back and she is doing amazingly well. It is surprising how well they can bounce back. Now, the problem is keeping her as un-active as she needs to be right now. Here is some pics of her I took this morning on a potty break, she would hate that I posted these!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carley.JPG (70.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Carley's Scar.JPG (68.0 KB, 26 views)
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!