View Single Post
Old 07-23-2007, 10:01 AM   #5
Sookie
My Four Sweet Babies
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiled pup View Post
Oh, and the reason I am asking is because my breeder called and told me there was a problem with my pup, so I went to see and she said when she started weaning him he would choke on anything that wasn't milk and would make this terrible coughing gasping sound and his little tongue would turn blue like he couldn't breathe. She said she had never seen a collapsing trachea in such a young puppy so she took him to two different vets and one said collapsing trachea and one said it was just a very bad chest cold kind of like bronchitis and put the puppy on antibiotics. I am really upset about this and I feel so terrible for the breeder because she seemed so upset, but I really appreciate how honest she has been with me about the whole ordeal. She offered me a full refund or my choice of other pups in the litter, so I chose one in the event that it is not a really bad cold that will clear up. Has anyone ever experienced anything like this or heard of a puppy having similar symptoms?

My Vet told me that puppies who are prone to collapsing trachea will usually cough a little bit if you press on their throats. I don't know about it happening spontaneously.

If you haven't taken the puppy yet I would wait to see if he is ok. I wouldn't take him just because I "felt sorry" for him or because I had already fallen in love with him. A sick puppy can cost a lot of money.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!