View Single Post
Old 07-20-2007, 05:42 AM   #15
Jenn218
Mojo, LilyGrace & Me
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesenia83 View Post
i called canidae today because my email didnt get a reply. They said that a different person handles the emails and that person was on vacation . anyway . i went on explaining what i found. the lady i spoke with said she doesnt know how corn got into the food but it "might " have gotten in because thats what some canneries use to clean the machines and she apologized. then with the sticky stuff. she said she is pretty sure its guar gum. the guar gum is supposed to travel to the edged on the can to create a jelly like barrier between the food and can but maybe its solidified before it reached the edge . She offered no other explanation and said would send me vouchers to replace the cans. I dont know how i feel about this. its pretty scary opening cans and never knowing what im going to find next. The babies like it and it has helped Snuggles with her allergies so i dont want to change it but this has turned me off a bit.
I remember having to feed our German Shepard canned food for awhile (not Canidea, but Nutro) and it had the gel like stuff on it. I had never fed canned food to any dog before, so I didn't know either. I asked the vet and they said it was safe to eat and in fact, that was the stuff that our German Shepard ate first! I don't know if it was better tasting or what? I remember that the few weeks she was on canned food, each can looked different on the inside, some of the gel was thicker than others, some was in the food, some wasn't, etc. I guess it just depends on the gel? I don't know...but I do know that the vet said it was safe to eat...of course it would be or else they wouldn't put it in the food....but I didn't know that at the time.

I switched Mojo from Nutro Natural Choice after all the recalls and Lily Grace was on a different food Eukanuba Yorkshire Formula when we got her. We gradually switched both over to Canidea after much research. Everything on Mojo has improved....he will eat this food on his own, his caot is looking better, etc. I think when any food (even human food), there will always be that one mishap of something getting in the food. It is worrisome, but if your babies are doing good on this food, I don't know if I would let one mishap cause you to go on that long hard search of finding another good quality food that your babies will be able to eat. (I have been there too!) Course, this makes us all look at what we give to our pets and what we eat ourselves a lot closer!
Jenn218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!