View Single Post
Old 07-19-2007, 08:36 AM   #9
Lorraine
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfaraoni View Post
I have a female Yorkie who is just over 5 lbs. & a male Yorkie who is about 6.5 lbs. My female is in heat & I was planning to breed her to a 3.5 lb Yorkie. While I was out running errands, my husband let the dogs out to do there business & one thing led to another & they tied up for about 15 minutes. She went into heat about a week ago. I know that it's best to breed with a smaller male & have done a lot of research on breeding over the past year, wanting to breed her (which is partly why we got her a boyfriend & playmate, but he ended up bigger than we expected). Is it a waste now to keep them apart & even breed her with the 3.5 lb stud we were planning to use? Help! I want to do the right thing & don't want my little girl having complications.
I am not sure where you got your info but breeding to a larger male or smaller male won't make much difference. Breeding is risky period. A 3 1/2 lb Yorkie could very well throw big pups, you would have to know if he has been used before and whether or not he threw big pups.
Too late now, but I would be more concerned about whether or not the stud I used best matched the qualities of my female and whether the mating would contribute to improve the breed.
Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!