View Single Post
Old 07-18-2007, 10:33 AM   #2
marcerella02
Loved by Layla
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcutson View Post
Hi, I recently got the most precious 2 month old YorkiPoo. I've only had him 4 days and already I am soooo in love! However, I have never had a puppy before so I am very new to this. I want to crate train him but I really dont know how. I am home all day\all night so I feel i should work around his schedule and baby him but everyone is telling me he will grow up to be a terror if i let HIM rule. So far, the schedule has been wake up- we got outside and he potties, then breakfast and some play time and back outside and he potties, then nap time for about 2-3 hrs (or whenever he wakes up) and then outside and he potties, then lunch, outside, nap, outside etc. Then at night i've been sleeping with him (which is reaking havoc on my asthma) and whenever he wakes up i feel him move and take him outside to potty. So, ive only had one accident on the floor in the house, and hes gone on his potty pads about 3 different times. However, it is getting out of control... he is taking up ALL of my time, literally. I couldnt take a shower for 2 days b\c I felt i couldnt leave him for a second. Ive always had really big outside dogs so there has never even been a thought of a crate, but now i am living in a big city with no backyard so i cant just let him roam out there. I have no idea how to crate him\how long he should be in\ when do i take him out\ what do i put in the crate with him etc. Please, ANY help would be soo appreciated! I just want to raise a GOOD DOG
WELCOME AND CONGRATS!! sounds like you are doing GREAT!! when you shower you can put him in his crate, i usually bring Layla in the bathroom with me so i can check on her! you want to get the smallest crate you can and even then it will be big so use towels to block off the back and just leave him enough room to lay down.. you want it to be very small in there for him.... and at ngiht, he should go in there if that is what you want, he will cry... it will be sad, however perservere and it will be ok.... so put him in at bed time, take him out to potty first, of course, if he does something great, put him in his crate and if he cries just let him.... he didn't potty when you brought him out.. let him cry for a bit and ONLY when he stops do you take him out to potty and try again ... if you take him out WHEN he is crying, he'll just think if he cries long enough he'll get let out... and then during the night make sure his crate is next to your bed so you can hear him and more importatnly he can see you... when he cries to go out, let him out , don't make a big fuss,,,, and put him back in... again, if he cries, just let him, always making sure he has had the chance to potty tho. During the day if you are home with him, you don't need to crate him unless you want to. A crate is a great place to get him to nap when you know he is tired, it gets him used to it.... again make sure he can see you. Sounds like you are doign ag reat job and only one potty mistake!!! that is great!!!! can we see a picture of him???
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!