View Single Post
Old 07-11-2007, 08:26 PM   #1
twilson4
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Yorkie puppy dies after 1st shots!!!

I am writing this because I am on the internet searching for information on vaccines because of the death of my 6 week old Yorkie today. My 4 year old Yorkie, Nyla, had a reaction last year after getting her shots that made me rush her to the Vet. The day after I got her shots, I returned home from work to find her laying in the closest barely able to raise her head or walk around. I took her to the vet and within a few hours she was up and walking again. Nyla had her 3rd litter of puppies 6 weeks ago. I took them in yesterday to get their first shots and was shocked to find one of the two puppies not able to use his back legs today. I rushed him to my parents and by the time I had gotten there he was not able to stand at all and could barely lift his head. He also had diarrhea which eventually had blood in it. The Vet was closed but met me over at the pet hospital anyway.(before he met me he told me to try honey thinking his sugar was low after the shots...this was not effective) He tested him for Parvo=which was negative and tried several different things such as 1 mg Reglan, .4 mg dexamethasone, 3 mg ampicillin, and giving him sugar water. His temp was 94 and I'm told it should be 101. The puppy did at one time stand up and walk around but then eventually collapsed again. The vet gave me a tube of sugar water and some soft food to try for a little while and let me know I should probably take him to the emergency clinic if he did not get better soon. I left and within 10-15 minutes he was getting worse and making strange noises..I tried to rush him to the clinic with the puppy in my lap...he kept gasping for air and just died right there in my lap. I was right by my parents so I just ran into their house and handed him over to them wrapped in a towel and kept screaming, "Is he not alive? Is he not alive?" My mom told me he was dead and I just ran out of their house bawling! I have been bawling ever since!!!! I just don't know what happened. This puppy has been healthy, jumping around and playing for 6 weeks now! his brother is just fine still, but what happened since the shots yesterday?? this is one of the worst things I have ever experienced...to watch that little puppy dying and I couldn't do anything. He just kept looking up at me and I had no clue what to do. My mother said she found some info on the internet that says small dogs might need to wait until 12 weeks to get their shots..but I wish the vet would have told me that!!! I just can't stop picturing him in my lap gasping for air and then just stopped breathing.....it was horrible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0441.JPG (15.9 KB, 65 views)
twilson4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!