View Single Post
Old 07-11-2007, 01:44 PM   #1
allydown
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Please help..chronic diarrhea.at my wits end

Hello to all of you wise yorkie owners! I am having a problem with my little yorkie and I am at my wits end..

Here goes: I purchased Sam as a gift for my husband after the passing of our 19 year old yorkie named Max. We got Sam at 14 weeks old (he was born on January 1st).. the first 3 days were great..happy healthy puppy and then the diarrhea started and pretty much it hasn't stopped. He was originally diagnosed with Giardia and treated with 2 different meds when the giardia didn't go away at first.. back to the vets with more diarrhea and diagnosed with Coccidia..treated with Albon.. good for a few days then more diarrhea, more albon, etc. etc.. Then more diarrhea, diagnosed with hookworms... AGHHHHH..it just never ended..he was put on low residue Eukunba food which is anything but low residue LOL! He has probably had 10 normal bowel movements in the 4 months we have had him..Back to the vets last week with more diarrhea (the diarrhea has alwasy been the same, full of mucous, really watery, and sometimes bloody). All this time, he has continued to thrive and gain weight (now at 5 lbs) His coat isn't great, but thats okay. The latest time, the vet did a fecal test for wormsl, saw nothing and deteremined to treat him for EPI (some pancreatic enzyme defiiency) and I have to add this really foul smelling, super expensive powder($100 per bottle) to every single meal, he can't have a drop without it. Ok, so I have been doing this (and the dog stinks from this powder on his face) and he still has diarrhea (not as bad, but he still has it). He had a fairly normal stool yesterday, but today more diarrhea!!! I can't take it anymore. He goes all over the house when he can't control the diarrhea otherwise he is potty trained to ring a bell.

What do you think could be his diarrhea problem?? Could it be coccidia that never went away (he was treated for 3 recurrences)? Could it be a pancreas problem?(if so, wouldn't the diarrhea dissappear on this powder) Should I see another vet??

We have spent over $1000 in vet bills and we can't afford it anymore. He has been seen probably 10 times for diarrhea in 4 months. I have cleaned the yard, santized his area so many times. He isn't eating anything he isn't suppose to, and other than the diarrhea he is a normal, happy, loving yorkie.

Any advice???? I am starting to question what to do at this point..

thank you,

allyson
allydown is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!