View Single Post
Old 07-11-2007, 01:37 PM   #14
topknot
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
I've been considering to breed my female yorkie and doing research on the subject. I'm still weighing the option that she "can" have difficulty and other issues during this time. But I was wondering that seeing that many people are saying, to be sure that the male stud is tested and such, are there tests that should be done for my female as well? and what is the estimated cost of each type of tests? - BluePangTaylorTwix
Type of tests - Jan L. is right to get these tests done first on male (STD test too) and female before breeding
Quote:
Brucellois. I check for any breed faults, LP, heart murmur etc
I also do the Bile Acid tast ($57.00) and a full blood panel ($58.00), even if it was done as a pup. I also go ahead and get their teeth cleaned as well (just for regular maintance since I have them in. By the time you run all the tests it is very expensive, but must be done if you plan to do it right. Oh, yes - my vet also makes them get the kennel cough shot too if they have not had one in 6 months - add $10.00 to the total.

Also Jan L. was right about knowing the lines. You have to kinda of predict what you may get and you want as close to the standard as possible. Research and learn those lines and know the faults of each male and female before breeding. You want them to compliment one another and be as close to the standard as possible.

Then you have to have some money in savings for when the pups come just in case of emergencies - about 500.00 (you may need a c-section).
Then you have their regular pup exams and shots about 55.00 for 2 pups total each time you go in for their boosters (but I get a little discount - no office visit added till pups are 8 weeks of age. And boy the 44.00 office visit added to the shots, etc really makes it add up fast. Then I also get the pups bile acid test done too. Add $57.00 for each pup. This is all just normal things to expect.

You are doing it right first by asking and checking out everything before.

I am in Georgia too!
T.

Last edited by topknot; 07-11-2007 at 01:38 PM.
topknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!