Thread: Need to vent..
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2007, 09:58 AM   #5
cheryl000
YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo's Mom View Post
I work as office personnel for a large lumber company. At this time sadly all hourly employees have been cut to 30 hours. I love my job and the people there but my blood pressure and an ulcer are taking it's toll. I have two other people at home here depending on me. They say this is only "temporary" until sales pick up (that, and the inexperienced manager has way overhired). A number of people on the floor have already left and the rest are sticking it out, the ones with husbands I guess.

Thirty hours is quite a blow, and of course this comes right at the time I am up for evaluation and a raise. The response is, "You'll get something Denise, just not right now". If I look for other work with competitors I would be fired if the manager got a call for reference. That's just the rule, you go to work for competitors there is no putting in your 2 weeks, it's get out now.

Then there's always leaving and the other job not working out. I hate job hunting, not a lot of opportunity for 47 yr old career gals with tatoos..they are old of course but do not wipe off, I have come to make friends with them as they are not going anywhere. I am good at my job. It was only after this was distinguished that they weren't noticed anymore. I thought I was set till retirement, guess I am if I am able to stick it out. The uncertainty is nervewracking.

What would you do?
If I really liked the job I would wait it out and try to do other things to help earn extra income. You could try ebaying stuff or craigslist. You could work part time somewhere else and test the waters at a different place. Maybe if your kids are old enough they could pick up summer jobs to help out with their own costs.

You could also talk to management and tell them that you would like to be on call for other people. Like if someone calls in sick or can't complete a shift you could be called in on short notice. You really have to be available and come in though. If you come in and as a fill in they most likely will call you again. Good luck and I hope things get better for you.
cheryl000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!