Thread: Overweight
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2007, 09:23 AM   #9
La Princesa
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn218 View Post
I know...I just worry. AND it just seems wierd that he has been a pretty constant weight until now. He was the same weight (give or take for years) and then after his neuter, he's gained. - I mean, that is the first thing the vet commented on when she walked into the room! We don't get much exercise, but I am working on that starting next week. I just worry w/ all the snakes and ticks...YUCK....but he will be out more exercising and playing. I think since it has been so rainy here and now it is hot and humid, he has gotten too comfy in the AC! And I remember reading that if you can not feel their ribs (I couldn't even tell you where they begin on him) that they are overweight - which I know since the vet commented about it.
I understand you on the ticks and Puerto Rico is one of the worse places for ticks. I had the same worry, cause I am scared of all kinds of bugs and made my son deal with them when Ryo had them. I wouldn't let him go in grass. I was checking his paws after every walk, well my son was lol. We found at least 5 ticks a day. I treated him with frontline and Bam! no fleas or ticks and now he runs in this flea tick and chigger infested grass and doesn't come home with unwanted new hitchhikers anymore. I know some people around here us other stuff but do ur research as a vet and get something on him that will protect him and enjoy the outdoors with him. Since Ryo is an indoor dog, When i say OUTSIDE, its like telling him he is going to Disneyland for dogs. He gets excercise and we are both happy and healthy

Akc.org:
"Weight - A healthy dog's weight is the result of the balance between diet and exercise. If he is getting enough nutritious food and exercise but still seems over- or underweight, he may have a health problem. Don't let your dog get fat by giving him too many between-meal snacks; obese dogs often develop serious health problems. The best way to tell if your dog is overweight is to feel his rib-cage area. You should be able to feel the ribs below the surface of the skin without much padding."

Last edited by La Princesa; 07-07-2007 at 09:27 AM.
La Princesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!