View Single Post
Old 07-04-2007, 01:11 AM   #7
pamelakay
Senior Yorkie Talker

I think I've lucked out..Luigi barks sometimes when he gets left in his pen or crate, but for the most part, he's been a really good boy about it. I think that has to do with the fact that I really ignore him when he barks or whines. He stops after about 5 minutes or less..or he doesn't do it at all, which is great. He is 3 months. I think how long it will take will depend on how you treat the matter and train your puppy.

I agree that you should NOT bang that broomstick or anything else on the crate. You do not want to do anything that will make your puppy scared of being in what is supposed to be..their bed/home.

What I have done has worked very well for me..again, Luigi doesn't bark or whine much. Some days, he'll go for like 5 or 10 minutes and it gets annoying...but just be consistent and be tough. What I've done is: 1) I don't go to him when he barks/whines at all. No matter how long or annoying it is (I've been doing this since day 1 of having him, so he's never barked for too long) If I pass by, I don't even look at him. If he stops and takes a break from barking/whining, then sometimes I'll go to him and say "good boy." 2) When I leave for work I don't give big kisses and hugs and give long goodbyes to my dog. This can cause them to have separation anxiety when you leave, or can cause the barking/whining. 3) When I get home, I also don't run straight for my puppy's pen to pick him up and cuddle. I do my own thing for like 5-10 minutes and then go play. This helps with the separation anxiety as well, and could help prevent the barking/whining. 4) Sometimes, I play with him for a long time (just during our regular playtime together), and then I let him drink some water, go potty, and put him in his crate. He stays quiet that way too..I think cause he's tired from playing =)

Try it out if you want. But you gotta be really consistent! Good luck!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!