View Single Post
Old 07-02-2007, 11:46 AM   #9
MyFairLacy
Donating YT 10K Club Member

Congrats on your new Yorkie! So far as the dry skin, the food she was eating probably played a big role in that. From the time you switch her food, it will take 6-8 weeks to see results from the new food you're feeding. I would definitely suggest switching her food to a more premium diet. I feed mine Nature's Variety Raw medallions. A high quality canned is Merrick or Nature's Variety. Some High quality kibbles are canidae, Wellness, Innova, Merrick, and there are several others out there as well. I use Fresh & Clean Oatmeal shampoo and Conditioner on Lacy. Oatmeal shampoos tend to be more gentle and the oatmeal is good for dry skin. I just tried a V05 Hot Oil treatment on Lacy last night for the first time and it really made her hair soft so you might want to try that to see if it helps with dry skin. There is no reason a dog shouldn't be on Heartworm preventative. Heartworms are deadly and the treatment is expensive and very hard on the dog so it's best to prevent them. I'm sure your vet will do a Heartworm test first before you buy preventative which is very important. If for some reason the dog were positive for heartworms, it would kill her if you gave her preventative. So this way you'll know if she's negative or not and you can start the treatment. I use Heartguard for Lacy, but there are others out there as well. GoodLuck!
MyFairLacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!