View Single Post
Old 07-02-2007, 06:48 AM   #8
Lorraine
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegamom1 View Post
You say it's been 3 years. How old is your girl? If she is 3 or over and never been bred, it can be even more dangerous. Have you had all the test run on her std's, liver shunt, legges perthes, luxating patella, eye disease, etc, etc? It's a long list. Please consider the consequences very seriously before you decide to breed her. There are lots of little Yorkies out there looking for a loving home like yours.
I agree, there are many in rescues or bad situations needing a home.
Actually Liver shunt gene can be carried but not exhibited in a parent. When bred to another carrier, you can get liver shunt in a puppy or more of them in a litter. You won't know if you dog is a carrier unless they produce an LS puppy. So what a reputable breeder does is make sure they know all the dogs/bitches and the kennels they are from for many generations back in the pedigree and then it is far less likely their dog they are wanting to breed won't produce it. Even then it is not idiot proof but the breeder will be responsible for that puppy should it survive.
Legge-Perthes either is exhibited or isn't there is no test for it. If your dog you want to breed doesn't have it again, they can be a carrier and when bred to another carrier, they have the potential to produce a puppy with it. I know of a breeder who had two Legge Perthes pups in a litter. That's a lot of bucks required for surgery on both those pups. The disease does not show up usually until 5 -7 months of age.
Eye diseases can be tested for however, usually it cannot be confirmed until 4 years of age. Again, you have to know the pedigree your dog came from and if there were any back in the pedigree that had any of the genetic eye diseases.
It is, in my opinion I huge responsibility to breed whether it is for show rings or just to keep some pups yourself. The heartbreak of losing your girl, losing a puppy, dealing with liver shunt, Legge-Perthes, early blindness in a puppy is not worth the risk especially when you can buy a healthy puppy from a reputable breeder that knows what they are doing knows their lines and will stand behind their guarantees.
Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!