View Single Post
Old 07-01-2007, 03:24 PM   #10
Samantha Ashhad
Senior Yorkie Talker

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunyluvsma View Post
Sorry to hear your going through this. I have had many dogs in my home and last week a baby came in with liver shunt but on top of it has Bronchial Pneumonia. He came from a breeder that had had him on antibiotic for over three weeks and other than his coughing, he was dull and life less when I got him. He is 1.4lbs. Needless to say my first few nights with him were touch and go.

My vet advised me to steam him 3 times a day for 20-30 minutes and then I coupage him 5 minutes on each side to help move any mucous in his lungs or Bonchi (sp?) In addition she had me go to the pharmacy and we pulled out the big guns and put him in zithromax. It has to be made special because this is a human drug and needs to be made for his body size.
To counter act all the antibiotic going through his little baby body I add acidophilus, which can also be bought at the drug store, which I add to his food to create good bacteria in his body. It helps him to counteract the negative effect of the antibiotic.

He is doing better. The steam and coupage is making a difference and feel that the antibiotic alone would not be enough.

Question: What does the cough sound like?

If you need to talk, please feel free to PM me. I know how hard this is for you and your little one. Please stay strong and let's just make sure he gets everything he needs to get well.

Take care.

Thank you for the advice! I am new to having dogs. Strangest thing is that I used to be terrified of dogs and now I have two that I love to death!
I am not sure about a few things you mentioned. I can't figure out what "coupage" is and what do you mean with "steaming" the dog? I wonder if that's the same as breathing treatment?
Is Bronchial Pneumonia the same as regular Pneumonia (sorry, I know I might sound a little dumb but I really don't know) or is it different and how serious is it? How long have you been treating your dog to get well and is he getting better? I don't want to take her back because I am allready after 3 weeks so attached to her and her personality and fear that they might eventually put her to sleep if it doesn't go away and I bring her back to them, but at the same time I can't afford a bunch of vet bills. It's horrible that people sell dogs that are allready sick. Now I'm in a bad situation and my heart and my mind are not agreeing with what I should do....
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!