Thread: trauma today
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2005, 11:11 PM   #6
Catrienne
Yorkie Yakker

Red face

I'm so sorry!!! At least she is going to be alright. Dogs are strong little fellas. My cousins' dog got out (he's a papillion, about 5lbs) when my uncle was going to work and as my uncle closed the car door, Strawberry jumped up and got smashed in between the door and the car. He couldn't walk and was throwing up and foaming at the mouth, etc. and they took him to the vet, who said that there wasn't anything they could do for him. My aunt sat up all night with Strawberry on her lap, thinking he was going to die, but the next morning he started walking around (albeit dazed) and now he's totally fine.

But stuff like that scares the crap out of you. My Yorkie, Maddie, was playing outside at my brithday party and I was inside with my best friend. We walked outside and my youngest cousin (7) was teasing the dog (like usual). I told her to stop, everyone proceeded to say they were "just playing". Maddie was in the pool and Hannah was splashing her and such, so she was coughing and I made her get out of the water. I walked over to the gazebo and was talking to my mom, when Hannah came by with a hoola-hoop, swinging it at the dog. Maddie would run up barking and then Hannah would swing it at her and Maddie would back-up. I yelled at Maddie to come and leave that game, but Hannah got too close and Maddie wasn't looking, and she whacked her full force, right between the eyes.

I've never heard anything so pitiful in my entire life. Usually, dogs yelp, but its like a bark and it ends, but Maddie was yelping in this long, non-ending cry and backing up and putting her paws to her face. It almost broke my heart!!! We ran over to her and my dad picked her up, I was so mad, but she looked fine and my dad was holding her, so my best friend and I went back inside. A couple minutes later we were walking into the sunroom and my dad was sitting there with Maddie on his lap. We asked how she was and he says, "Not good. Not at all." She's his buddy. I asked what was wrong, found out that after I left, she had seizures and then couldn't walk. I was sooooooo scared. We sat down and I wrapped her in a towel (she was still wet from swimming) and we petted her and talked to her. She looked so scared and her eyes were all big and she was shaking so bad. I ranted and ranted about what happened and threatened I was going to beat my cousin if my dog died. Everyone else just shrugged it off, because she is a spoiled brat.

We sat there for a long time and eventually she started to calm down. I was going to take her to the vet, but everyone said she'd be fine. My best friend went inside and brought back clean water and rib tips... we ripped off little pieces and fed them to her and she started to feel better. When she dried off, I put her in her crate, so that she could lay down and be free from anyone hurting her.

So, today she is fine. But it scared the living crap out of me. She isn't allowed to play with children anymore, without me staring down disaprovingly at them. LOL She is a big Yorkie, too, 15lbs. Lucky thing, or she probably wouldn't have made it.

I'm glad your baby is ok and sorry she fell!! It can be so scary.
Catrienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!