View Single Post
Old 06-28-2007, 03:24 PM   #1
pamelakay
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default HELP: hookworms?

So as I said in my intro post of Luigi (in the Yorkie Pictures forum), we checked his stool and the vet found that he may have hookworms. I just picked up some medication today for him (it's called Fenbendaz), and they said the medication should kick in in about 24hrs and start to get rid of the worms. I give one dose to him for 5 days. I just have to recheck his stool in a week to make sure they're gone.

My questions are:
-Have any of you ever dealt with hookworms or know about them? I just want to know if this medication will really take care of it in a week, or if you think I'll have to be giving him more meds? I know they can cause problems like anemia and diarrhea in the puppy (Luigi had a case of diarrhea a week ago, but he got medicine for that too and all is well now. He's also eating great and still as active as ever)...but I'm wondering if I have to worry about him having heartworms or any other problems now too? (if there wasnt anything found in his stool other than the hookworms, then do i have to worry?)

-Is this medication considered a "deworming," or do I need to get that done too? (unless the worms go away in a week of course) I'm not completely sure how the process goes.

-Are hookworms highly contagious to humans? Do I need to wash all his blankets/toys, clean his crate, bleach the floors, and all that stuff to get rid of excess larvae or whatever may be hanging around (i'm planning on cleaning anyway.) I'm so worried myself or my family may get it. What's the best way to prevent that, and do I really need to worry that someone in my family may get them?

-How can I prevent getting them and prevent Luigi from getting them again (i take it this involves cleaning again?)

I hope someone can help me out with my questions! Thank you!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!