View Single Post
Old 06-28-2007, 10:40 AM   #10
Lorraine
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsupandy View Post
In my opinion the reason why we should not trim the yorkie when they are young is to avoid his hair grow curly like poodle. If you trim or shave your yorkie before 8 months, the hair will grow curly not flat like what you see in the yorkie dog show. In general the hair grow 1 cm every months but it depends also on the hair type. Like us, human, have their hair grow more rapidly than others. This is what I have heard from some groomers not to shave the yorkie hair when they are young (not before 8 months).
Sorry but I disagree. Curly coat on a Yorkie is there genetically, not from cutting it at too young an age. Sometimes if you have one that has a bit of a wave or curl, letting it grow will make it not quite so curly as the weight of the coat will pull it down. But it will still have a curly look to it.
I had a bitch once when I started out. Never cut her coat until she was well over a year. As she got older her coat curled and was forever more.
Moreover, I had a little 4 mos old that went flying around the corner in the old house I was living in and she drove a huge sliver into her side. It lodged about 4 inches down from the point of entry. I told the Vet to shave whatever he had to be sure to get everything out. He did a surgical shave along her side.
Her coat grew back straight as can be. I showed her at about 2 years old, got 6 pts on her well on her way to her championship then she got pyometria and I was not going to fool with it so spayed her and she went to a pet home.
Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!