View Single Post
Old 06-28-2007, 05:28 AM   #11
kodibear
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by drawlins27 View Post
I really hate to say this, but if your parents don't want a high maintainance dog, then a Yorkie was not the best choice. Even when healthy, a Yorkie is high maintainance.

If you do decide to put him up for rescue, then I suggest you try here first. There are a lot of people on here who are knowledgable about liver shunt and would love to take him. And you would know that he was going to a great home.

I hope that everything works out for you.
My parents didn't go out looking for a yorkie, let alone, a dog. We've had dogs all our lives, but 1.5 years ago, our lab of 13 years was put to sleep. It was then that my parents said NO MORE DOGS! However, for some reason they were led to follow up on a rescue situation when they were on vacation and heard that there was a litter of puppies up for rescue. They immediately fell in love with Cody and despite the fact that they adopted him from a hospital, they never told my parents about the possibility of liver shunts or any of the other problems that Yorkies can have. (why wasn't he tested before he was adopted out BY A VET?!)

We are not ready to go through the testing, my parents were both raised with the understanding that if a dog is suffering, then you don't put it through all kinds of medical procedures that it doesn't even understand- you put them out of their misery. Now, they have no intentions of putting Cody to sleep- he's too young for that and they know that if it is a liver shunt and it's operable then he can live a normal life... but they don't want to be the ones to put him through all the medical stuff.

My mom is on the phone right now with the animal hospital where we got him... I'll keep you guys updated
kodibear is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!