View Single Post
Old 06-27-2007, 09:58 AM   #13
Yorkieluv
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

My yorkie has a compromised liver and cannot eat any protein from meat, so his meals are cooked. But I only lightly steam/boil the veggies. Right now he gets egg, potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, and green beans with supplements added...This is the only diet that I have found that is formulated for a liver compromised dog long-term that is also okay to feed a dog with ammonium urate stones, which he does have.
My maltese gets cooked as of right now. She usually gets ground turkey or ground chicken with rolled oats or brown rice and veggies like carrots (for the betacarotene) and celery/green beans or something like that with supplements added. We add vitamin b-complex, vitamin e, kelp, nutritional yeast, bone meal, lecithin granules and a little vitamin c.
I've read that as long as the veggies are pulverized, juiced, or lightly steamed, they can get all the nutrition from them.
I'm on the fence though regarding the grains...I still give grains but would like to learn more.
I don't give them any dry food because Miko, my liver compromised yorkie, can only eat either RC Hepatic LS 14 or Avoderm Vegetarian(which are also safe for my maltese to eat), but dry foods are not good for him because of his stones. I have to try to avoid them unless I had equal parts water to the food. And he won't eat it wet. LOL
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!