Thread: Grooming
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2007, 07:56 PM   #13
MyFairLacy
Donating YT 10K Club Member

It's important to go in and be able to tell them exactly what you want. Even with the same breed, there are so many different things you can do to them, and everyone likes their dog's haircut differently. Some people cut the hair between their eyes - some don't cut it and let it grow and pull it up. Some people like a visor (or bangs) and some people don't. Some people want their dogs hair pulled up in a top knot, and some people want the top of the hair cut short. You can go with all different lenghts from 1/4in long all the way to 2in with blades or guides, or you can have them trim the hair with scissors if you want it left longer than 2inches. Some people like their ears tipped, some don't like them tipped. Some people want a teddy bear face, a round face, an angled face, a heart-shaped face, a schnauzer face, a long face...so many choices. Some people practically shave their dogs, some people leave them in full coat only trimming around the paw and pads, tipping the ears, and sanitary groom. Find pictures of what you want (although remember yorkies can have different coat types so sometimes you can find a cut on one dog and it won't look exactly the same on another). And make sure you give the groomer very clear instructions - even take a written note in with you with what you do and don't want. It's hard to find a good groomer but there are some great ones out there. Call your vet and see who they recommend - call other vets in your area and see who they recommend. Find other small dog owners and ask them who they use. If you hear great things about one particular place over and over - try that one.

I've never done much to Lacy's hair. Her hair grows soooooooo slow for a yorkie and I want it to get really long so bad. I used to have the hair cut between her eyes because someone told me I was supposed to but I didn't like it. I finally decided to let it grow long (like the do with show dogs)..it took forever but I can finally pull it all up with one ponytail without any pieces falling out. I think it looks so much better now. I have her groomed about every 4 weeks. I usually just get her ears tipped, paws trimmed, nails filed, and sanitary around her butt. She has had her face trimmed twice and her body trimmed once just to even it up a little but I'm just letting it grow.

I think it's good to start having your dog groomed after it's had all it's vaccinations, including rabies - so anywhere between 3-4 months. The first couple times at least, I would take them in for a bath and just a trim-up (paws, ears, sanitary) without any major clipping. That gets them used to it - especially if you take them every 4-6 weeks. Then by the time you really want their hair cut, they should be used to it and it's not big ordeal for them.
MyFairLacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!