View Single Post
Old 06-25-2007, 08:46 PM   #8
SJK1113
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drawlins27 View Post
Their quality of life varies with the magnitude of the hydrocephalus and on a case by case basis. Lily is 6 months old and has moderate hydrocephalus. Her prognosis is very poor. Normally they would insert a shunt but she will never be big enough for the surgery. Another way they treat it is to place them on steroids but Lily has MVD so that is not an option either.

Lily shakes quite often and is blind in her right eye. She may eventually become completely blind. She also has a very shrill bark and barks constantly. She becomes scared and anxious very easily. She has her good days and bad days. Sunday was a very bad day and I didn't get any sleep at all because I stayed up all night trying to comfort her. The closest thing that I can compare her behavior too is a child with down syndrome who also has very bad ADD. She can also be very clumsy and she has to be constantly watched to make sure she doesn't hurt herself.

She loves to play though and sometimes loves to curl up on your chest and sleep. However, for the most part, she does not like to be touched too often unless you are rubbing her neck. This usually seems to calm her unless she is having a bad day.

Like I said, it seems to vary on a case by case basis and by how bad the hydrocephalus is. As long as she is happy, I will do whatever it takes. But I never forget for one minute that she is only on short term loan to me. Absolutely every minute I spend with her is a complete joy and heartache at the same time.

Feel free to ask me any questions.
Thank you so much for your reply. I am getting a puppy with this condition, so I want to be prepared and am trying to research all that I can. But, real life experiences are what I really want to know so your response is very helpful.

I already know that the pup I'm getting has this, but I don't care, I still want her. I think she deserves a chance to experience being loved and wanted and cared for. She is blind in one eye, but today her breeder took her to the vet and found she has hydrocephalus. I can't even tell you how many different emotions I've been through over this today, but my husband and I have talked, and we still want to take her and give her a good life, for however long that may be. She is beautiful and deserves a happy life.

I have a brother who is Down's Syndrome, so I'm familiar with everything that goes along with that. I used to help my mom alot with him when he was younger. He is only about a year older than my oldest daughter. He is 25 now and still lives with my parents, but he does very very well. My parents did a wonderful job with him.

I would love to talk to you more about this. If I think of any questions, do you mind if I PM you? Right now, my mind is swirling with all kinds of things but as soon as I can sit and think clearly, I'm sure I will have lots of questions. Thank you so much.
SJK1113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!