View Single Post
Old 06-25-2007, 06:54 PM   #5
drawlins27
Mommy's Lil' Miracle
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJK1113 View Post
Has anyone had any experience with a very young puppy having Hdrocephalus? I'm looking for any experiences or knowledge on this subject, and I am especially interested in the quality of life these little pups have. Thank you in advance.
Their quality of life varies with the magnitude of the hydrocephalus and on a case by case basis. Lily is 6 months old and has moderate hydrocephalus. Her prognosis is very poor. Normally they would insert a shunt but she will never be big enough for the surgery. Another way they treat it is to place them on steroids but Lily has MVD so that is not an option either.

Lily shakes quite often and is blind in her right eye. She may eventually become completely blind. She also has a very shrill bark and barks constantly. She becomes scared and anxious very easily. She has her good days and bad days. Sunday was a very bad day and I didn't get any sleep at all because I stayed up all night trying to comfort her. The closest thing that I can compare her behavior too is a child with down syndrome who also has very bad ADD. She can also be very clumsy and she has to be constantly watched to make sure she doesn't hurt herself.

She loves to play though and sometimes loves to curl up on your chest and sleep. However, for the most part, she does not like to be touched too often unless you are rubbing her neck. This usually seems to calm her unless she is having a bad day.

Like I said, it seems to vary on a case by case basis and by how bad the hydrocephalus is. As long as she is happy, I will do whatever it takes. But I never forget for one minute that she is only on short term loan to me. Absolutely every minute I spend with her is a complete joy and heartache at the same time.

Feel free to ask me any questions.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!