View Single Post
Old 06-25-2007, 12:40 PM   #1
Suzy
2 Pups=Double Trouble!
Donating Member

Default Disagreement on spaying

Does anyone completely disagree with their spouse on the issue of spaying/neutering their yorkie?

Milli's spay appointment is set up for this Friday, and I'm already nervous enough about it. I was the same way when Emma got spayed-but I know it's the best thing for them.

My husband wants to breed Milli, and I'm totally against it. At first, we thought she'd be too small, but now she's caught up and weighs about 4.5 pounds at 7 months old (so I at least had a strong reason against it). Besides not wanting to deal with her being moody, whiny, & the mess of heats, personally, I believe I have NO BUSINESS breeding yorkies, at least right now. I know nothing about it, and I don't want to risk the health of my newest little furgirl. I first think about all the risks there are, and all the complications that can occur in breeding-when I told him that, he said I'm paranoid, that those things are always a risk when having any babies, even in humans! Though that's true, I don't agree that we should breed Milli, because I don't know what I'd do if anything happened to her.

I explained to him that not only do we not know what we're doing, financially and with our own free time, it's probably not a great idea now. We're thinking about having children in the next 1-2 years, we just bought a house 6 months ago, and both of our careers are demanding (I'm in commercial interior design, he's a new attorney), so with all that in mind, money and time can be tight at times.

He agrees with my points, but says that we should keep her intact to breed her later on, after we learn more about it. My feeling is that we bought her as a PET, and paid for her as a PET. She's not EXACTLY the perfect example of a yorkie, and I believe that yorkies should be bred from very good examples of the breed. I told him if he really wants to breed yorkies, we should invest in a breeding pair somewhere down the road, after doing our research and after (if) we decide this is something we really want to make a committment to do.

Someone PLEASE tell me I'm doing the right thing, and that I'm not being overprotective and paranoid! Has anyone else not spayed their furgirls in hopes of breeding someday?
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!