View Single Post
Old 06-22-2007, 06:59 AM   #1
sadiesamie
YT 500 Club Member

Default Oxalate Crystals in urine...

Has anyone discover oxalate crystals? the vet (in february) switched my little Samie to Purina Veterninary Prescription diet NF formula. The main ingredient is corn and she has had severe scooting going on. i think she is allergic to this food so we just switched her diet to the Canidae (all stages formula). she has shown improvement in only 3 days. I am wondering if anyone is familar with these crystals. The vet said she may be producing kidney stones but we have not done xrays or anything yet. part of the reason is my little one suffers trachea collapse at the vet. due to the fact that she gets so excited there and she pants and then her panting gets heavier and heavier. she has turned blue also. at home she does ok. her little tongue did turn blue last night when she drank water too fast and she started the coughing/honking. scared the heck out of me.

Appreciate any info anyone has on crystals. I don't know if this is major concern and if it was necessary to put her on the NF pres diet. alls i know is i could not bare to see her scoot anymore from discomfort so i switched her to the canidae. she is still eating 50% of the kidney nf food as we are still going through the phase out of the old and introducing the new. but she has shown a lot of improvement. i just hope i am not making a mistake by taking her off of the pres diet nf formula. she is only 7 lbs and she has had been scooting bad since we started the food in february.

i have read everyone on YT that "corn" is horrible for yorkies diet and the MAIN ingredient in this kidney function food is CORN. My other yorkie Sadie also recently developed skin irritation. her whole body was bright PINK.3

below are the readings from samies first and second urinalysis:

2/16/07- ph: 6.0 protein 100 spec gravity: 1.035 crystals: 3+ oxalate crystals. comments: amophoa debris- start NF diet.

4/14/07- glucose: neg bilirubin: small ketone: neg blood: neg ph: 8.0 protein: 30+ urobilinogen: normal nitrate: neg leukocytes: neg spec gravity: 1.030 crystals" 2+ oxalate crystals comments: amorphous debris

I have no idea what any of these values mean... does anyone else? are we in danger zone? is this serious? i am so clueless...

Last edited by sadiesamie; 06-22-2007 at 07:03 AM. Reason: adding info...
sadiesamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!