View Single Post
Old 06-20-2007, 04:50 PM   #8
Timmy
Mimi & Gabby too!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy in Waco View Post
Oh, I am so sorry to hear about Lilly! Of course she will be in our prayers. I am also inspired by your courage. Wow!

Now, if you don't mind....would you explain more about what PDA is? I don't want to appear ignorant, but I am.

Hugs from me and Gizmo!
patent ductus arteriosus (PDA)

At birth, mammals must adapt from living in a fluid environment (the amniotic fluid) and acquiring oxygen through the mother's blood, to breathing air and acquiring oxygen through their own lungs. The ductus arteriosus is very important in the adaptation process. This is a small communicating blood vessel between the pulmonary artery (which carries blood to the lungs), and the aorta (which carries blood to the rest of the body). Before birth, most of the blood from the fetal heart bypasses the fetal lungs via the ductus arteriosus. The lungs gradually become functional fairly late in fetal development. At birth, the blood supply from the mother is of course cut off, the dog (or other mammal) begins breathing on its own, and blood flow through the ductus arteriosus decreases dramatically. Within a few days, the ductus closes off completely.

Where the ductus does not close, the dog is left with a patent ductus arteriosus (PDA). The extent to which this affects the dog depends on the degree of patency, or opening, of the ductus.

Here is the website also if you want to take a look http://www.upei.ca/~cidd/Diseases/ca...seases/PDA.htm
Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!