View Single Post
Old 06-18-2007, 05:56 PM   #1
TLC
Slave to My Rug-Rats
Donating Member

Default Staph Infection going on 2.5 months - Need Advice

I just don't know what to do

On March 27, I noticed Roxy had a about 3 little red pimples by her pee area. I thought it was b/c I had't wash her privates in a few days and/or she was sleeping all wrapped up in a fleece blanket and it was just too warm for her. I gave it 2 weeks and it cleared, but then when I groomed her (shaved her belly) they started to come back, so I started to wash her belly and privates every morning and every night. The pimples would clear for a few days and then another would appear. All this while and even before over the winter Roxy has started to itch. I have them on a Raw food diet, so I don't believe this is a food allergy.

On May 19, I took her to the Vet, for shots and to talk about these pimples. He said she has a mild staph infection, he said it is probably a result of her itching over the winter probably from allergies of some sort, maybe around the house. Gave me clavomox (2x a day) for 10 days and hydroxyzine (antihistamine) 2x a day for 10 days.

Day 8 of Clavomox - Roxy develops pure mucus poop. I continued the antibiotics 2 more days, and Roxy had mucus water poop for the next 2 weeks.

Her pimples sort of clear, not gone all the way, but looking better. But she is starting to itch alot again. June 11 I picked up some more hydroxyzine to give for another 10 days.

I bathed her on Saturday 6/16 with Paul Mitchell Tea Tree Shampoo, and I made sure to really scrub her skin and rinse her really well too. But I also shaved her belly again. Her skin looked really good until tonight. Since all this happened, I have started to really inspect Roxy's skin, I checked every inch of her skin tonight and I have found alot of the little red spots, some pimple (pus) like and a handful that the pus must of opened and dried and is orangish dry flakes.

She is sleeping now, I gave her the antihistamine around 7 pm. She will still scratch here and there, but her skin broke out alot, not just on her belly, but her right front arm, down both sides of her back, by her back legs, her butt, her neck.

I just don't know what to do for her. I don't want to keep putting her on antibiotics, especially if they give her mucus poop for a long time.

I went searching online and read to keep her skin clean. And I found this:
http://petsbestrx.com/ingredients.htm

Should I bring her back to the Vet

Can anyone relate? The Vet did tell me that this may come and go her whole entire life

I just want her to be better, the itching has got to be beyond aggravating for her!

What to do - What to do???
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!