View Single Post
Old 06-18-2007, 10:16 AM   #1
RileysMom19
Yorkie Yakker

Love Yorkie Puppy/9wks old, in hospital with Upper Respiratory Infection

I bought Riley from a breeder when he was 6.5 weeks old and now he's a little over 9 weeks. About 3 days after I got him, he showed signs of a runny nose but not much lethargy. I took him to a vet who said he might have a slight cold but did not want to give him anti-biotics. They also diagnosed him with chryptorchid.

So I took Riley home and 3 days later I noticed that he was eating and drinking less and the runny nose turned a bit "snotty". He had a greener discharge and it was crusting up all over his fur. He didnt want to play anymore and would just sleep all day so I decided to take him to another vet for a 2nd opinion.

The 2nd vet said that baby Riley was coming down with an upper respiratory infection and put him on a small dose of Clavamox. He sent him home with me and I kept a close eye on him all day. Later the next night I noticed Riley had completely stopped eating and started vomiting. I rushed him to the nearest Pet ER where they took him immediately off the antibiotics and gave him a SubQ shot/fluids.

After this Riley got better for almost a week. He was running around, playing and eating his dry dog food. He wasn't on any meds though, and his nose was still very congested. He was also still having some trouble breathing. I thought we were getting better, but then on Saturday night he developed gagging which would happen every 30 seconds or so. I thought to be safe I would take him to the ER vet once again.

The other ER vet (at the same clinic) said that he absolutely had to go on anitbiotics and gave him Albon. She sent him home with me telling me that everything would be ok. On Sunday morning I gave him his first dose along with a little food and turkey meat. I had to leave for a few hours so I left him sleeping in his little bed. 3 hours later I came home to find an extremely lethargic puppy. He wouldn't eat, drink, or even sit up. at 5pm on Sunday I noticed his eyes were almost bugging out of his head and he was completely listless.

Once again, I took him to the ER vet who admitted him to the hospital for IV fluids (catheder had to go in the jugular), a sugar drip, and new antibiotics. They kept him all last night and said his blood sugar was so low, he almost had gone into a coma or had seizures. It would not even register on the scale. In the middle of the night they got it up to 50. I was up all night worried sick about him.

They are telling me he may have a congenital defect of the liver (ie shunt) or it could be something else because of the vomiting, but I am convinced that he always gets worse on the antibiotics. He's at his regular vets today, still receiving treatment and his blood sugar is back up to 202.

I think he just has a horrible upper respiratory infection and has a bad reaction to antibiotics which makes him sick to his stomach and makes him vomit. Hence he can't get better, and his blood sugar goes down.

They're saying prognosis is 70/30 but i'm still deathly worried about the little guy. I've only had him for 3 weeks and already i'm totally in love with him. If anyone can give me advice, or if they've been in a similar situation, please let me know. It seems all 6 vets have different advice/diagnosis.

Also, does it seem like I have a right to go back to the breeder and request some kind of refund or money? I've paid $1000.00 in vet bills in the last 2.5 weeks and he got sick only days after I purchased him. I dont like conflict, but I'm bleeding money here and I only want my little one to get better.

Thanks guys

Melissa
RileysMom19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!