View Single Post
Old 06-16-2007, 09:21 PM   #24
sadiesamie
YT 500 Club Member

Default Purina Prescription Diet NF Kidney Function formula.

Thanks for the info. I am checking on the brands you suggested. Cost is not a factor and i do want to feed my girls only the best food available. my husband is hesitant on the raw food. I am too i have never heard of that until reading on this site. very interesting.

we were feeding Natural Choice -small bites and before that Hills Science Diet. a rep in Petsmart was telling us the benefits of switching brands. I noticed that the new food was not as greasy. they ate that food for almost 5 yrs. After finding this discharge on Samie last year and "I" suggested the vet do a urinalys... so they end up finding crystals.... very slight crystals- they told me. the vet tells me that we can take xrays on samie and it could be stressful on her due to her trachea issues. she suggested giving the food time to work- maybe up to a month or so. but she said that the food is better for kidney function and the discharge should go away. give this food time to work though- she said i would not see a difference immediately.

so we make the switch and it wasn't easy that's for certain. this food is bland and no beef or chicken or any flavor at all. (yes- I actually took a nibble of it and tasted it... didn't swallow it but wanted to taste it)
crazy........ i know... :-)

i figure hey this has been going on almost a year... what's another month or so... if it helps.... good. if not- then we will have to figure out a way to keep her calm for xrays. the "vet tech" said i could give her something called "ACE" (for short) aceprozipan (spelling wrong) but i researched that and lets just say that i did not find anything that would make me want to give her something to make her limp and very sleepy.. no way in the world do i really want to give her this. I only kept reading online about bad experiences with ACE.

so anyway- after a good month and a half on this new food, "I" suggested another urinalys and they still found some crystals... I showed the vet tech her vaginal area and she says- it's not too bad...
the only thing they said was start adding a small amount of cranberry juice to her water. something about they would like to see the ph in her urine lower. we communicated a lot though with only the "vet tech's" never the vet.

SOOO...after i see this discharge forming once again i call the vet clinic and i aske them is it possible to have THE VET call me? they say sure. take my number and she calls the 2nd day later. this was last Thursday and she asks me a few questiong about the discharge and what color is it? where is it at? i tell her about the panting, discomfort, then it leads to trachea coughing. she immediatly jumps the gun and procedes to tell me that for the past 3 yrs...that she has seen our dog "she has always been at the scene" whenever we bring samie to have her anal glands emptied.

and she said that samie turns blue every time. she says with samie's trachea issues and we have been blessed to have her with us 9 yrs. i was trying to tell her that i simply thought that the scooting and discomfort is causing samie to pant more and breathe worse. she wouldn't be having trachea issues i don't think if she wasn't in pain. i only know this because samie had a major leg surgery 3 yrs ago and they sent me home the day i picked her up WITHOUT pain meds. my husband had to go up to the vet surgery center to get her pain pills. that poor dog panted to the point where she could not breathe. Eyes bulging like crazy! oh my gosh she was so bad! so we give her her pain pill but to then later realize that it was on her bottom chin hair. we had a hard time giving her the pill and we never realized that she disn't even take what we gave her. i had her on the counter looking at her and trying to calm her and we realized the pill was stuck in the hair on her chin. she had spit it out and we never knew she did this. well by the time we realize this it's 4 AM. she turned totally blue and we rushed her to the EMERGENCY VET. they kept her on oxygen..and overnight.we finally got her pain under control and she was fine. still totally miserable. that surgery was hard on her. so this is how i know that pain and discomfort makes her pant more and then that leads to heavier breating and then eventually her little gaspy sounds she makes. i can hear them in ther chest too if i am next to her hugging her.

BUT...back to the vet's conversation with me about how samie is while at the vet... first of all- samie has done "a little better" since she is on allergy med's these past 3 months and she (i didn't think) has turned blue either of the last 4 or 5 times we have been there for anal expressions. she lasts for a good 15 minutes as opposed to maybe 3 or 4 minutes as she did before we started the allergy pill. She gets too excited. it's not that she is scared at the vet. she loves the car ride... she loves people and she gets all crazy excited and doesn't even realize what she is doing to herself.

but back to the discharge... for a year i have been complaining about this and the scooting and they always immediately jumped to conclusions with it constantly being her ANAL GLANDS. Why has a whole year gone by and she doesn't know what i keep telling them? I start thinking that the VET probably hasn't even looked at samie whenever she has been there. now this discharge did go away "a little" - like there was less of it and it was not so heavy and thick and stick. i figured the new food was helping until this appeared again now. so that's why i demanded the the VET call me because i am needing to find out what this could be once and for all. her and i talk for a while and she tells me some dogs produce mucous. she never asked to see it or have a swab taken of whatever it was??? (the new vet today though did)

Samie's hair is long under there. i trim it maybe every 3 mos or so. one time i shaved it and i think it may have helped her. maybe she is having this problem because of her hair being too long. maybe it does need to be shaved. not shaved raw but i hear a #10 blade. i groom them myselfs so i want to try this on her but not just yet. i am going to wash often too in the meantime. like every 3 days or so get her in the tub and just rinse her good or shampoo lightly.

we were at the (NEW) vet today and the actual vet -not vet "TECH" spent 30 min or longer talking to us about so much. i can't wait for her to see samie and she what she has to say about her. as soon as we got home today i gave samie less than 1/4 of a cc (maybe 6-8 DROPS) of the hydromet.
she was PRESCRIBED 2.5 cc's. even the vet today told me to start with 1 cc. well i was too nervous to give her a whole 1cc so i opted to just experiment with a super teeny tiny amount.

so -15 min pass and samie is quiet and not drowsy. sometimes she will come in the kitchen and stand next to me and i can hear her breathing... and today i didn't even know she was in there. she barked when we were outside. she "did" however.... scoot one "little" time. i thought for sure she would scoot more. but she didn't. she ate good today... i gave her a little bit of the canned food for the first time in 2 wks (after the vet today reassured that this would not make her anal glands fill faster)

i want to look into a different food perhaps. but with samie and the kidney... crystals... discharge... i think she really needs to be on some sort of kidney function food. i don't know. the thing that i don't get is both of our dogs are on this new food and both vets have said that it's ok. so... i am going to read up on nutrition. i definitely know that i cannot commit to home cooking and i am hesitant on the raw foods.

oh gosh.... these posts just keep getting longer and longer... i think we have it all covered now though :-) this has been quite a vicious cycle for us. i have been stressed. i have worried... and i still do. this can't be good for me. but i think we will get to the bottom of things once we get her to the new place.

oh by the way- i still have 216 exchange(cell phone) i kept my same phone number because we moved to texas from ohio... anyway the vet called me on my cell phone last week. we talked for 18 minutes and get a load of this... she sent me bill- yeah... we rec'd it in the mail today- for 54.00. can you believe that? she never at any time told me that she would charge me for a long distance phone bill. i didn't think anything of it??? my husband opened it up and showed it to me and he said- we are SOOOOOOOO DONE WITH THIS PLACE!!! nice huh... okay- i am signing off.

p.s.
I apolygize if i sound like i am all over the place in this post... :-) i have glanced at this a few times and it's so long that i cannot read it one more time before i send it. :-) it's been a long day today and i have been on the computer a long.....time :-) time to get a few things done around the house.
sadiesamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!