View Single Post
Old 06-27-2005, 08:18 PM   #3
debi_s
YT Addict

Animal Smiley 036

I'm not sure how much help I can be on this one.....but my former yorkie, Oscar (RIP) had some similar neurological symptoms in the later years of his life.

Since being on Yorkie talk I have spoke with a few others that seemed to have similar episodes....and I'm not really sure if we ever decided the actual causes.

Oscar had what seemed like a 'seizure'.....he would get very unsteady, often falling over if he did try to move about. He would walk backwards for a while, often drool a bit, get a very glazed look to his eyes.......

Of course, I mentioned it to the vet and he thought it might be some type of seizure, but if it did not happen more often than once a month he did not want to start meds.

Eventually I started really watching each episode and keeping some notes about things in each episode that were similar.
"Not like a siezure"......
1) Oscar was never really totally "OUT" like a seizure...he could always respond in some way..(turn his eyes / head to calling his name)

2)He never had incontinence of urine / stool.....(typical seizure activity)

I also began to notice his stomach ALWAYS felt very hard and firm to the touch......and following these episodes he ALWAYS threw up!!!! Then he would get very sleepy and sleep for hours (which is very similar to a seizure).

Like I said, I may not be of much help...but Oscar's problems turned out to related to his digestive problems.......usually eating something that had made him a bit more than "just a little sick".

As he got older things that normally did not make him ill were now making him very sick....it turned out he had a tumor on his pancreas and developed diabetes........
Oscar lived to age 12, but these episodes started when he was about 5-6 years old.

I would say pay special attention to any digestive symptoms during these episodes....

And....Oscar's episodes only lasted something like 30 minutes to 1 hour or so....never 12 hours!!

Good luck.......
debi_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!