View Single Post
Old 06-14-2007, 08:35 PM   #4
sadiesamie
YT 500 Club Member

Default t/y

thanks for responding! I will check out what you sent.

If you would like to know more about our little Samie... here is where we are at...

The vet told me today that some dogs produce mucous and this could be what this tar-like discharge is. She wants us to try adding cranberry juice in her water to see if this would help maybe lower the ph in her urine... ? in the meantime i am getting ready to make a vet replacement :-) just getting nowhere with this and don't know what else to do. i suggested maybe xrays and maybe possible blockage but the vet says if there was blockage (stones in the urinary trach) that she would stop urinating. and she still is urinating. so?? tonight i gave her her first cranberry pill. we discussed that we could do pill or juice. i opted for the pill. so again tonight she starting scooting so i put some neos. ointment on her. she has stopped scooting but still panting some. i keep distacting her by giving her icecubes (that i first run under water for a minute or so to shrink them down) :-) she can't be scooting tonight because of her anal glands being full????? i mean she was just at the vet last Friday and she has been scooting ever since. BUT...they also removed all of the tar like substance that had formed around her vagina while we were there. she scooted immediately before we even left the vet. mind you,,, there was nothing to remove from her anal glands. i had got all of it when i had done it. but sometimes i just can't get all of it. and once a month i let the vet do it. Also whenever i had cleaned her lightly with a wash cloth and warm water on her vagina she would scoot immediately. its really mind boggling to say the least? we switched her food 3 mos ago to a purina spec diet NF kidney control formula (per the vets request) and recently started her on Chlorpheniramine 2 mg- twice a day for her allergies.. we were giving it to her with the canned NF food but it seemed that her anal glands were needing to be emptied in like 2 wks or less as opposed to maybe once a month when i gave her a bath. the vet today seemed to tell me that the canned food had nothing to do with her anal glands filling quicker. regardless we discontinued giving that to her. and it was so hard because she just LOVED this canned food. OMG! loved it!

so anyway-i told the vet that the sticky (whatever it is)?? adheres to her vagina and then her hair around it is stuck and matted together on her vagina--it seems to create a barrier and she scoots less. Then when i trim the hair and remove the debris she scoots more. so i don't know what to think anymore? the vet said to keep removing the debris becasue it could harbor bacteria.

I did notice that before we introduced the canned NF food she would have a drier substance-almost dry/gritty. in the same area but instead of black it was a like gold/brownish gritty/drier...almost like dust instead of tar like. -i know this sounds crazy :-) but it was kind of like corn dust. the dry food has a lot of corn meal in it.. so it makes sense to me especially since her food is filtered though her kidneys...

so here we are- she finally is asleep right next to me. i almost tried to see if her anal glands maybe were full again. this evening..And she hates when i empty her anal glands. half the time i have to do it more than once because she is just so teeny weeny that i have a hard time finding them. and even once i do find a little to clean out -they are barely full. yet it stops the scooting. at least for a few days. but like i said- i really don't think her anal glands are the problem. it's this substance around her vagina. i am hoping she will let me sleep thorugh the night becasue God only knows...she has woke me up scooting in agony at times and then the breathing starts... and then the coughing. she also suffers trachea collapse if she get over heated, excited or stressed. the allergy med helps with that... since she can breath a little better. we can't put her on anything stronger for her allergies since they contain steroids.. and steroids impact the kidneys... it's such a vicous cycle we have here. i don't know what to do. this vet we go to is quick getting us in and getting her taken care of since her allergies and excitement effect her trachea collapsing and we literally can be at the vet for 15 min tops or else we risk losing her. (almost happened last year) once we got her home and calmed her down she was better. (very scary for me to say the least) but i want to switch to a new vet we found and i am so scared. the last time we tried a different vet she gave samie something to calm her and it made her so bad that i don't know how she made it through that. she could not breath and all and she was gasping in my lap the whole way home in the car. i thought she would be a goner by the time we made it home. but i am not happy with this vet. i don't think she knows what is wrong with our little dog???? our other yorkie is having her teeth cleaned at the new vet next week (if i don't chicken out and cancel the appt :-) i am just really nervous about them doing this since they have to put her under anesteshia. i want to bring samie to the new place but we plan to meet with the new vet and let them know what is going on with samie in much detail before i risk taking her there. don't want another bad experience like last year. i am off to put my weary body/mind to sleep for the night. anddddd i am babbling away... :-)

thanks for reading if you made it this far :-) i just don't know what else to do for her. a year of worrying, wondering, thinking she will be okay... oh the stress. she is going to give me an ulcer the way i worry about her. :-)
sadiesamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!