View Single Post
Old 06-14-2007, 11:12 AM   #5
Lola LaRue
Donating YT 500 Club Member

I'm a little late to the game, but my little Lola broke her leg twice, same leg. The first time, they put her in a cast for a little over a month. At that time, they were a little worried about the leg being a different size since the fracture was close to her growth plate. They took the cast off and within a week, she broke it again, this time through both of her bones. They did not really give us an option, they just said that it would require an orthopedic surgeon. Lola is only 3 lbs now, I think she might have been around 2lbs at the time. Her bones were super soft and they had to go in to see if it was the same break, and it was. Turns out that she may have healed better if the cast was on for longer. Lola now has 5 screws and a plate in her little leg. She has healed beautifully and does not seem bothered by it at all. The surgeon was concerned about her bones being so small, but a good surgeon can do wonders. When you look at the xray, it is incredible. It looks like the plate and screws are bigger than her bones. You can feel all of them when you run your fingers down her leg.
My advice would be to look for a great surgeon. Our vet happens to have some that they use from other hospitls. Good luck and let me know if you need any other advice.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!