View Single Post
Old 06-27-2005, 03:00 PM   #12
Luvmypupster
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgraff
What do you know about stains and maltese?
Thanks,
There are the lucky few like Jcarlson that have maltese that are free of any tear stains. There are several tricks and tips that maltese people use, I have tried a few of them but not all. Some people swear by giving distilled water as their daily drinking water, some people add vinegar to the water, avoiding any food with red dye, giving a daily (1/2 tab 2xday) dose of Tums to prevent stains (changes the PH level and helps keep yeast and bacteria production under control), giving low dose of Tylan which is an antibiotic (the trick here is finding a vet that's willing to give you the prescription), over the counter eye drops such as Colloidal Silver (some show people swear by colloidal silver) or Collyrium, Omega 3 supplements, and treating with a mixture called MOM. MOM is a homemade recipe Using equal amounts of Milk of Magnesia, corn starch and hydrogen peroxide to make a paste. Brush paste on the stained area ( i use a small flat artist brush), and work well into the stain. Allow paste to dry overnight. Wash out in the morning and condition. Repeat for several days until stains have disappeared. I have bought many over the counter eye stain products such as eye envy and have not had any luck with them on maltese hair. I use MOM and Tums and have found it work best for me. Tearstains in maltese is extremely common.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!