View Single Post
Old 06-13-2007, 06:35 PM   #1
Dixie
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Confused Broken leg advice needed-soon!

I'm hoping someone has had a similar experience and can give me some advice. Dixie is 2.3 lbs and is almost 2 years old. She broke 2 bones in her front leg 3 weeks ago. She was splinted at that time. A week later, the splint was changed. Week 3 they took x-rays again and said there was no healing taking place. They had only been able to align 1 of the two bones, leaving the other broken one with the 2 pieces resting on top of each other. The vet (I stayed with the emergency vet and haven't returned to our regular vet-we've only used him for her shots and spay-so no real relationship with him) says that for a 95% chance of recovery she will need a plate put in. Pinning is not an option due to the size of her bones-she's too small. He feels that casting it would result in a 50% chance of full recovery. I've seen many posts on here where casting resulted in recovery but didn't know specifics about the break or size and age of the dog. Dixie is using her leg as she normally would-it has not slowed her down. I really hate the thought of her having surgery and also that the plate has to be placed with pins. The vet said that her bones are so small pins could cause them to split. There was another option that I've not heard of...it was to place a rod outside of her leg that is attached to a pin at the top and one at the bottom of her leg, then they would use wire to bring the broken bone pieces together and cast it. It was an internal/external proceedure which also sounded risky. Any advice would be appreciated or share your experiences please! Will her leg heal in a cast only?
Dixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!