View Single Post
Old 06-27-2005, 01:51 PM   #8
yorkipower
BANNED!

Lightbulb Products to combat tear staining

Quote:
Originally Posted by vingengo
Hello!

Do you guys do anything with the tear stain on your Yorkies? My wife uses her nails to peel or pinch chunks of black "thingy" along where the tear stains are. Is this ok? Should we leave it alone? I guess my wife just wants to clean her up. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks!
First check to see that there's no medical condition that causing the tearing. Ideally have your dog looked at my a canine opthamoligist. It's a good idea to have this done since Yokies can get PRA.
Some Yorkies have very small tear ducts and their eyes don’t drain well. Yeast and bacterial infections (low grade) can also cause staining. A lot of Yorkies, however, just have this in their pedigree for one reason or another. To keep Penny’s eyes dry (and her’s too are constantly tearing) here’s what I do.

Rinse the eye out with a saline solution. Opticlear is a product available from most dog vet cataloges (Jefferspet, Omaha Vaccine, Pet Edge, Petsmart). Then, I apply panalube or lacrilube to her eye to protect it from damage (if you have sterilized mineral oil in an eye dropper that will do too). Then I apply “Eye Envy” liberally to the hair below her eye and brush in with a toothbrush. I allow the product to sit in the hair for several minutes. Then when I give her bath, I bath her with Durrestead EF (eye and face shampoo) and gently scrub with my thumbs the tear stain area. You can also use corn startch or eye envy powder in between treatments to keep the area dry.
yorkipower is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!