View Single Post
Old 06-13-2007, 07:24 AM   #14
NODAK
BANNED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
But FirstYorkie is right. Ears back is a sign of anxiety.

My BEST suggestion is to sign up for a positive reinforcement/clicker training class. Even Petsmart is OK, although you'll probably get more for your money if you research private trainers.

My second best suggestion is the same as someone gave on another thread, which is to give Tanner yummy treats that only you, not Heidi have. For some reason, he is either not excited to see you or more likely afraid of you. Maybe you caused it, maybe he was afraid of someone else who you remind him of (maybe the father or older son at the breeder hurt him?), or maybe Heidi is "mom" and you are just someone unfamiliar. Either way, you need to earn his TRUST not just his love. Teach him a game - play fetch with him or try to teach him to sit. Reward his efforts with bits of chicken.

Loki's favorite kid in the whole neighborhood is the young girl who runs out of her house when she sees him to bring him a treat. Last time she came out with a container of Turkey lunch meat. We can't even walk past her house without him stopping and laying down in the grass and STARING at her front door. He loves her. Because she brings him food.
I appreciate that as well....although, it seems PetSmart would be the "McDonalds" of pet training...I'd definitely try a private one over that...
NODAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!