Thread: Discipline?
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2007, 07:36 PM   #8
SJK1113
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstYorkie View Post
I agree 100,000,000,000,000%.

Interrupt inappropriate pottying and take her outside to finish. Do not scold or punish. You will end up with a dog who hides to potty in the house. Not one who stops pottying in the house, but one who does it under the sofa, in a closet, etc. Instead, praise and heavily reward (with the yummiest treats you can think of - like liver or garlic chicken) appropriate pottying. Won't potty when you are outside with her for 20 minutes? Then stay 30. Or 40. Whatever it takes so that you can reward good behavior.

Chewing furniture? Put clear roll-on deodorant on it and be sure that 1) your pup has plenty of other things to chew on and 2) she is getting plenty of exercise.

Good luck!
I agree, except I used Bitter Apple. I'm lucky that Jake doesn't try to chew the furniture, etc. One thing is to make sure they have plenty of things to chew on, such as bully sticks, flossies, and toys.

I think potty training is much easier if you can give the dog constant supervision and be completely consistent. I haven't had any problems with Jake. I would catch him right before he was ready to pee and say "NO" and pick him up and take him to the pee pad. Then, he'd go and I would praise, praise, praise and give him treats. He caught on really quick. As far as discipline, I've never had to discipline Jake. I just say "NO" when he's about to do something he shouldn't, and he listens. The key is to catch them right at the moment they do something wrong so they learn what they're being told "no" for. Of course, they will all try just to see if they can get away with it, but I say "NO" and Jake goes in a different direction. It's so awesome when it works and you see results like that! I love to watch Jake learn!
SJK1113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!