View Single Post
Old 06-12-2007, 08:19 AM   #10
stow1
Yorkie Talker

Default No on CA's bill AB1634

The following is a sample of what you could send to your Senator. To find who your senator is go to the following site, type in your street and zip, and your senator will come up. You can also find this on the AKC.org web site.
WE HAVE TO FIGHT THIS BILL, AND NEED YOUR HELP!
http://192.234.213.69/lmapsearch/framepage.asp

The Honorable (name)

California State Senate

State Capitol

Sacramento, CA 95814

RE: Oppose AB 1634 as Amended May 31st

Dear Senator __________:

I am writing you today because I am concerned about Assembly Bill 1634, a measure that would require mandatory spaying/neutering of dogs and cats over four months of age unless the owner qualifies for and purchases an intact animal permit. I am a responsible dog owner (and or breeder) and I oppose this legislation.

(Personalize here – tell about yourself as a dog owner, breeder and fancier. How many years have you been involved with dogs? What breeds have you owned or shown? Do you compete in any other activities with your dog – Obedience, Rally, Agility…Have any of your dogs achieved a Championship? Won a prestigious award?

Please describe the money you spend when traveling to shows. Do you spend money in hotels, for gas, eat out at restaurants? Details the money you spent in the last few years. Let them know where the shows were that you attended and what businesses you impacted.

Breeders - Details the steps you take when preparing to breed/whelp a litter – applicable health testing, evaluation of breeding stock, training, etc…How much money do you invest in these things? How do you work with puppy purchasers to ensure they will be responsible owners? Do you encourage CGC or obedience training? Do you remain in contact with the new owners?)

Mandatory spay/neuter is an ineffective solution to animal control problems because it fails to address the heart of the issue—irresponsible ownership. These laws are extremely difficult to enforce and can be evaded by irresponsible animal owners by not licensing their pets. It will hurt responsible breeders like me who raise healthy, well cared-for dogs and work to ensure that these puppies are placed with responsible owners. Passage of AB 1634 will make it almost impossible for Californians to obtain pets locally from responsible California breeders.

Responsible owners who are already complying with local animal control laws will be unfairly punished by AB 1634, while irresponsible owners will continue to make problems for the community and local shelters. Concentrating animal control efforts on dogs whose behavior demonstrates that they are a problem for the community would be a much better use of taxpayer funds.

I respectfully ask that you support responsible owners and breeders by opposing AB 1634.

Sincerely,

John Smith

1234 Main Street

Los Angeles, CA
stow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!