View Single Post
Old 06-12-2007, 08:06 AM   #1
Sheba's Mommy
Yorkie Yakker

Default Gypsy Moth Infested Areas

Hello!

We live in NJ and the gypsy moth caterpillars are literally covering the ground in their dung. It is disgusting!!

Sheba, my 10 lb. Yorkie Poo has free reign through the backyard and goes in and out all day and she has a habit of cleaning off her feet...if she'd give me a minute I'd clean them for her but you know how kids are...wanting to be all independent and stuff!!

Well, since the gypsy moth caterpillar infestation, I have been worried about it's affect on her and unfortunately my fears came to fruition.

Since Friday she hasn't been acting right so I've been jumping through hoops to get her to eat. You could tell she really didn't feel good. Spurts of energy but more sleeping than anything...up and down all night to go potty...etc.

She quit eating last night completely.

She has had no vomiting or diahrea and because she likes to eat grass that has the morning dew on it, it is hard to tell if she's doing it from an upset stomach or for a snack...until she quit eating everything else!!
AND I could tell something was wrong with her stomach because even 6' away I could hear it gurgling.

I've run the gammot of possible reasons for this including that maybe the healthy food I've been feeding her is too rich or parasites (had 2 stool samples tested in the last 4 days) and the only thing we can figure is the dung from these creatures that are eating away at our trees!

Well, we just got back from the doctors and had several tests run. He found that there is an increased amount of bacteria in her digestive system...more than her stomach acids can take care of...and he suspects the dung.

She is now on Tamlyn (sic?) for 30 days and hopefully she will (power of positive thinking) start getting an appetite in 3-4 days. Until then she's on Hills Science Diet I/D chicken & rice canned food but she's yet to eat any of it.

I just wanted to put this out there for anyone who's being invaded by these creepy creatures and let you know that because our babies are smaller than most, they cannot handle the bacteria the way that larger dogs may be able to.

So, if you see any signs and live in an area that's infested, maybe this will help you.

Sheba's Mommy (aka Donna)
Sheba's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!